Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 94: Visionary Faith

Habakkuk 1:1-4; 2:1-4 1:1 The oracle that the prophet Habakkuk saw. 2 O Lord, how long shall I cry for help, and you will not listen? Or cry to you "Violence!" and you will not save? 3 Why do you make me see wrongdoing and look at trouble? Destruction and violence are before me; strife and contention arise. 4 So the law becomes slack and justice never prevails. The wicked surround the righteous— therefore judgment comes forth perverted. 



2:1 I will stand at my watchpost, and station myself on the rampart; I will keep watch to see what he will say to me, and what he will answer concerning my complaint. 2 Then the Lord answered me and said: Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so that a runner may read it. 3 For there is still a vision for the appointed time; it speaks of the end, and does not lie. If it seems to tarry, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay. 4 Look at the proud! Their spirit is not right in them, but the righteous live by their faith.


Sermon: Visionary Faith
Pastor Ruth Ann Loughry
October 3, 2010

"Many of us, and many people right outside our doors, are wondering what we’ll put in the offering plate and what we’ll put on our lunch plate.

An uneasy tightness grows in our chest. We wait - pacing and anxious. Our loved ones suffer with no easy answers. Whether it is a monthly crisis from paycheck to paycheck, or the tragedy that strikes in the middle of the night, our faith wavers. We begin to fear what we do not know. The future is dark. Why does this hurt so much? When will a job offer come? Our mothers used to say it would look better in the morning. Mornings come and go, and it doesn’t look much better. We, like Habakkuk, long for answers. We wait for God.

Waiting is an act of faith - Habakkuk waited for God. “I will stand at my watch post, and station myself on the rampart; I will keep watch to see what he will say to me, and what he will answer concerning my complaint.” (2:1)" (Click here to view/listen to entire sermon.)

Day 94. Dollar 94. Hunger Relief Community, our fear God turns to delight. Our prayers God turns to praise. Our unknown future God delivers in visions as we simply walk. People of God - have visionary faith. Live by faith! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment