Wednesday, June 23, 2010

World Cup, Tin Cup and the Cup of Salvation

I was listening to Pastor Ruth Ann preach on St. Paul's Epistle to the Galatians when a thought came sailing into my head like a trumpet shout from a vuvuzela. The idea was about the World Cup. I immediately took a pew pencil and wrote a note on my bulletin. Later on that afternoon when I looked at my bulletin, I couldn't really decipher my handwriting. However, I could distinguish the three letters spelling CUP, C- U-P.

As we are more aware of the global realities of our daily experience I thought how passionately and religiously some people follow the World Cup proceedings. Simultaneously, it amazes me that due to all the technological gadgets and devices we have there is the ability to be in contact with people all around the world. And yet, at the same time we may not even know the names of the people who live in the apartment or the house next door. The World Cup stirs up feelings of pride, nationalism, hope and athletic expertise.

While my mind was musing about "cups",
a line from Jimmy Buffet came to me:
'I wanna be there, Wanna go back down
and lie beside the sea there
With a tin cup for a chalice,
fill it up with good red wine.

(Tin Cup Chalice)

This lyric has always symbolized for me a holy notion of the mystery of the ordinary. That when we have the eyes, ears and taste buds to recognize it, the Holiness and Wonder of God is all around us in the basic, ordinary experiences of life. Our God is imminent and transcendent. Some folks chase after World Cups or Tin Cups, but all of us are invited to join in at the banquet were we encouraged to "taste and see that the Lord is good!" (Psalm 34)

"It is at that simple meal of bread and wine that
"we
will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the LORD,"

(Psalm 116:13)

Jesus was sent by God the Father to save the world. When you think about it we celebrate every Sunday a holy victory of the WORLD CUP, too!

L'Chaim,
Pastor Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment